

Today, January 16th, is my sweet baby-boy Reed's birthday. I cannot believe 7 years have gone by since I went to the hospital to deliver him. Last night I shared the story of his BIRTH-day with him and he was quite surprised. For those of you who don't know the story, here is a recap of how we became a family of 4 on
January 16, 2002:
I was scheduled for my regular 4 week prenatal visit with Dr. Phillips that morning. My mom was on her way to keep Hayden( who was exactly 25 months old). I was trying to get myself ready but had this feeling like I just couldn't quite stand up all the way. My mom got to the house and I answered the door in a half-hunched over position. My mom offered to drive me to the Dr. but I declined stating that I was ABSOLUTELY fine. Sitting in the waiting room I began to feel what I thought might be Braxton-Hicks contractions - no big deal completely normal for 36 weeks and a second baby.
When I told Dr.Phillips what I was experiencing he hooked me up to the monitor and very calmly (as only he can do!) told me I was having CONTRACTIONS - not the BH kind either! He told me to go get a light snack and some juice and come back in an hour. I think I was numb from that point on...
I went to visit my Dad since he just worked down the street (and who coincidentally also has a birthday on the SAME DAY). I called my husband and told him the news. We rationally agreed that by the time I went back to Dr. Phillips this would FOR SURE be just a false alarm.
Back to Dr.Phillips, back on the monitor - only to hear Dr.Phillips say, "YOU are going to have a baby T-O-D-A-Y!!!!!"
"Seriously, seriously....you have GOT to be kidding! I can't have a baby TODAY!", I said.
I was then instructed to WALK to the hospital and WALK up 3 flights of stairs to my L&D room. I changed my clothes, I called my husband, I called my Dad and my mom. EVERYONE was in a complete shock. NOTHING was ready yet!!! No baby clothes had been washed, his bedding wasn't finished, bottles had not been sterilized....
But at 7:35 PM on January 16, 2002 REED DAVID ROUTH was born weighing 6lbs 4oz. He was healthy, happy and he was HERE - 4 weeks early!!!
It is a day I will NEVER forget. I just can't believe it happened 7 years ago!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY SWEET REED a.k.a pumpkin bread
2 comments:
Wonderful story...I remember it too!! So glad you have it down now. Happy Birthday!
Sounds familiar!! Happy Birthday Reed!
Post a Comment