Thursday, May 1, 2008

All dogs and cats go to heaven?

So this morning starts just like any other morning...rushed, trying to finish breakfast, lunches, find shoes, eat our vitamins, etc. keep in mind that today is May 1st and it is the National Day of Prayer (this will be important later in the story!).
So, here we are rushing to just get out the door and to school on time. On our way to school we must past Nana and Papa's house and the topic of Duchess and Annabelle come up. Let me explain. Duchess was my parents dog and Annabelle was my parent's cat. Both animals are now deceased but nonetheless they are in our conversation today. A discussion begins between Hayden, Reed and I about whether or not we will see them in Heaven. I give an answer that satifies them but this conversation is far from over. Then the BIG question comes..yep, THE question of all religious questions asked by my sweet 6 year old, Reed, "so how do WE get to heaven?"
Now, realize that it takes us all of 3 minutes to get to school (5 minutes in heavy, small town traffic). This is in NO way enough time to explain this concept! So my anxiety has gone up a notch. Also, realize that I have been waiting for Reed to ask me this particular question. You see with Hayden it was easy. We had time to talk and he to this day still likes to talk with me about everything (I sure hope that continues). Hayden by nature is more sensitive and concerned about God, praying and Heaven so we have already had this discussion. But this was my Reed asking!
So how did I get a condensed, to the point, simplified, out in 3 minutes answer you ask?
I said just that....."you ask!"
You ask Jesus into your heart, I say. You believe that He is real and that He will come back again someday. You tell Him that you mess up sometimes but your sorry and you will try to do better. And you know what....I think he got it. My sweet Reed shrugged his shoulders and said, "huh, I can do that.... and so when I get there I can see Duchess and Annabelle, right?"
Yes, Reed I am sure they will be there.
At that moment this morning, I completely forgot that it was the National Day of Prayer but was reminded of it on the news tonight. So right now I am thinking to myself God is so amazing! He is with us when we least expect it - even on the way to school!

2 comments:

mbc said...

And kudos to you for explaining such a big question with just the right amount of words...in just the right amount of time.

Remind me I have a story for you along those lines.....

Boyz3Mommy said...

Yeah, and I'm STILL trying to not only explain that but death in general....even to myself I guess. You are a great mommy.